Most people have heard of Search Engine Optimization or (SEO) by now, but unless you own a business or considered marketing, you may still be a little unfamiliar with it. That’s ok, consider this SEO for dummies! This blog post is going to break down how SEO works and why it’s important.
So, what is SEO?
SEO is the process of getting FREE traffic to your website. It’s basically altering the visibility of a website and getting more traffic to it without paying for advertising. Let’s look at how SEO applies in a real-life situation:
You’re sitting around your home on a Friday evening and decide you’d like to go out for dinner. You’re in the mood to try something different, a new restaurant, and all week you’ve been craving Italian. What do you do?
- You go to Google, or another search engine, and type in ‘Italian restaurants near me”.
- The search results load, showing a ton of Italian restaurants near you.
- You eagerly glaze the page, then click on the first result and check out that restaurant.
- If that restaurant appeals to you, you make a reservation, if not, you go back to the results and click the next one.
Generally, the websites with the best SEO (and best Google rankings…but that another post!) appear first in search result listings. So in our example, all the restaurants with good SEO on their site would appear on the first Google page. Because of this, these restaurants have a much better chance of getting your business for the evening.
The fact is, not many of us look past the first or second page in our Google search results when we’re searching for something online. When was the last time you went all the way to page 11 or 12 of Google search results? You may never have even done it. Chances are we find what we’re looking for in the first two pages. The better your SEO, the better chance you have at higher revenue for your business. Therefore, as a business owner SEO is very important. SEO makes your business visible. If you’re Italian restaurant shows up on page 8 of the Google search results when someone is searching for a place to eat, then they’ll never even see it as an option.
SEO for Dummies, SEO a bit further explained
Search engines collect information using algorithms. They’re like little spiders crawling your website for information. When you search for something using Yahoo or Google, the engine processes what you searched for. They send their spiders out to crawl. Search Engines want to give the result people are searching for. Then using these advanced algorithms, they determine what results to show you based on the content of a website (basically based on what their spiders tell them while on your site). Think of a search engine as a chef. Every time someone searches for something it’s like the chef is making a dish. If you own a business, you want to make sure your website has the ingredients the Google Chef needs to complete that dish. That’s how you get more business and make more money.
How to improve your SEO
Now that SEO for dummies has shed some light on SEO, and you understand what SEO is, and why it’s important, you’re probably wondering what you can do to improve it for your website. First, it’s important to stay on top of the game. The algorithms search engines use are always changing. They’re constantly being updated. Something that may have worked yesterday might not work today, however, there are some basic things you can do to improve your SEO.
- Pay attention to the words on your website. You want your site worded right. It should reflect your business, and have content related to it and your industry.
- Make sure the site title and page titles on your site are worded correctly.
- You want links to your site from reputable sources, the more reputable links you have on your site the better search engines will view you.
- Make sure you keep your site up to date, a site that is not well maintained with fresh content won’t be ranked well. Post something new at least once a week.
Since you’ve now read this SEO for dummies post, hopefully you have a bit better grasp on SEO. If you’re looking to improve your SEO, Lions Edge Media can help you out. Check out this page for a bit more information on our SEO service and our other marketing services. We also provide private consultations to help you boost SEO on your own. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us if you have any questions.